Tuesday’s Column: Dale Mail
Peace on earth? Is that even possible? I mean boy look at this place.
Could it be that peace and joy mean something else entirely?
It’s true that for the faithful Christian peace and joy await us, but there are some who believe we can only experience these blessings in heaven.
- We may feel that we are allowed only moments of Joy.
- History shows us only times of peace, but never peace everywhere.
Can we have peace and joy for our life here on earth?
Let’s look at how this is most definitely possible. Perhaps it’ll make the holiday season that much more enjoyable and hopefully every day after.
- Peace is not the lack of war— we know we’re in a spiritual battle (2 Cor. 10:3-5)
- We can have peace knowing that Jesus already won the ultimate war of death and gave us the victory.
- Peace comes from confidence in your salvation (Romans 8:31-38)
- God is on our side. He’s bigger than any problem we will ever face— peace comes from knowing what many assume to be the unknown.
What is joy?
- It’s not happiness
- Like peace, it relies on an understanding of faith and and the appreciation of victory.
- It’s also a conscious awareness that God is active in our lives. James 1:2 says, “Count it all joy!” That doesn’t mean when trials tumble in you embrace them with a smile, but it’s an awareness that God is working in the world and that He has everything under control.
What’s there to be joyous about?
- If you’re a faithful Child of God— there’s everything to be joyous about. Your life is one of abundant joy, but you may just need to choose it.
- Decide how you will view future trials ahead of time. Now is a great time at the beginning of a new year.
These are God’s gifts to you that keep on giving— all year long.
Peace to you and may this new year be the one we all decide to be joyful about the certainty we share in a world full of uncertainty.