Wednesday’s Column: Third’s Words
Jesus wants us to have a perfect eternity with him because he sees us as family (Heb. 2.11-14). He took drastic measures to make sure anyone who wants to could easily get a passport to heaven.
- He took a 33 year demotion to save us (Heb. 2.9). The engineer and fabricator of reality stepped down to an entry-level position so His own creation could abuse and kill him.
- An immortal being allowed Himself to die. He did this to experience what all of us have to experience (2.9).
- The best pulmonologists have a respiratory disorder (or a family member with one). They empathize and know from personal experience what works. Jesus was the perfect person to give out freedom because He personally experienced what we go through. If someone’s going to be in charge of handing out grace, who better than someone who can empathize with our struggles (2.10; 17,18)?
- He makes us perfect in God’s eyes (2.11).
- He brags on His family to the father and to the faithful dead who are hanging out with Him until judgment (2.11-13; 12.21-23).
- Death is scary and uncertain, but not for Christians. Satan used our fear of death against us (2.14; cf Rom. 8.15), but Jesus confiscated Satan’s power.
- He made God very accessible, which makes it easy to stay faithful (4.16).
- He’s better than ancient human priests – and even they were gentle/patient with ignorant and weak believers (5.1,2). If they were patient with ignorant, weak believers, He’s even more patient (5.5-10).