- Pick out a local church leader and pray for him and his family for several minutes, being very specific in your petitions on their behalf.
- Email a missionary to encourage them and get an update on how their work is going.
- Buy a gift card and try to give it anonymously to a young or struggling family you know.
- Thoughtfully select several people to compliment and encourage by writing on their Facebook wall or other social media platform.
- Briefly visit a brother or sister in an assisted living facility or nursing home.
- Ask a co-worker, classmate, or neighbor what you can be praying for them about.
- Listen to a book of the Bible in its entirety on your commute.
- Let go of a grudge or deep-seated resentment.
- Do an unexpected deed of kindness for a random stranger.
- Speak to someone you see regularly about your faith–what God is doing in your life, what’s going on at church, etc.
- Spend some one-on-one time with one of your children (playing a game they enjoy, going for a walk, taking them out to eat, etc.).
- Show love to your mate in some tangible way you know he/she enjoys (speak their “love language”).
- Practice pleasantness with everyone you meet today, being mindful of your facial expressions and body language.
- Carve out some time for meaningful, personal devotion (including Bible reading, singing, and prayer)–make worship more than a Sunday matter!
None of these are overly time-consuming. Pick as many as you can. If you cannot get to them all today, then pick up where you left off tomorrow. Grow your list. Use your imagination and creativity. Find yourself looking and acting more like Jesus! See yourself in Matthew 5:13-16.