Maybe you are like me and reach a threshold where you just don’t want to see any more alerts, the latest, in-depth reports about terrorism and senseless violence and murder, and warnings of looming threats. At some point, most of us reach a saturation point. Many wish to avoid the news altogether for its depressing gloom and despair. I don’t believe we need to manufacture or reinforce that kind of fear. There is plenty of that.
However, there is a significant sense, globally, nationally, locally, and personally, where needed fear is insufficient or absent.
- Fear That Shows Itself In Service To God (Josh. 24:14).
- Fear That Motivates Obedience (1 Sam. 11:7).
- Fear That Opens Our Minds To His Blessings (1 Sam. 12:24).
- Fear That Ushers Praise To God (Ps. 22:23).
- Fear That Brings Wisdom (Ps. 111:10).
- Fear That Results In Trusting God (Ps. 115:11).
- Fear That Gives Rise To Blessings (Ps. 115:13).
- Fear That Causes Knowledge (Pr. 1:7).
- Fear That Leads To Hating Evil (Pr. 8:13).
- Fear That Produces Confidence (Pr. 14:26).
- Fear That Yields Life (Pr. 14:27).
- Fear That Prompts A Departure From Evil (Pr. 16:6).
- Fear That Focuses Us On Our Purpose On Earth (Ec. 12:13).
- Fear That Makes All Ultimately Well For The “Fearers” (Ec. 8:12).
- Fear That Proves Us Followers Of The Mind Of Christ (Is. 11:2-3).
- Fear That Precipitates Stability In Our Times (Is. 33:6).
- Fear That Makes God Show Mercy (Jer. 26:19).
- Fear That Helps The Church Grow (Acts 9:31).
(There are literally dozens of other passages that speak of the benefits of this godly fear)
A lack of godly, reverent fear of God generates more than deadly attacks on innocent, defenseless people all over the world; it leads to people’s callous, wanton ungodliness that causes mothers to slaughter their unborn children, that hardens people in lifestyles of sin, sexual immorality, rank atheism and moral bankruptcy. The kind of fear that the Bible urges in every genre of Bible literature (history, poetry, prophesy, gospels, and epistles) is the pathway not only to peace, security, and joy on this earth, but eternal peace, security, and joy! History is rife with examples of what happens in the presence and absence of such fear in the lives of individuals and whole societies.
In practical terms, that starts with you and me demonstrating and declaring the urgent necessity of such fear. It may mean watching less TV or less scouring of internet reports on the latest security threats and investing in more devotional time building dependency upon God to help us through these perilous times. Refocus and retrain your heart regarding the object of your fear! It is truly the gateway to fighting the fears that appear to plague humanity’s souls at the current hour.