- Where you can build relationships with some of finest, most enjoyable people on earth.
- Where the world gets smaller and mutual connections are usually a conversation away.
- Where God’s Word is honored and imperfect people try to follow it.
- Where Christ is at the heart of every idea, program, and plan, but also every class period and worship assembly.
- Where you connect with people throughout the week, from thoughts and prayers to cards, calls, messages, and visits.
- Where hope is always vibrant whatever in the world is happening, where joy is always possible however gloomy the forecast.
- Where there’s always room for more members to be added to the family.
- Where young and old, rich and poor, educated and uneducated blend together in a harmony that cannot be found anywhere else on earth.
- Where we literally get a foretaste of glory divine.
- Where you feel a part of something so truly profound in purpose and exciting in destiny that sometimes you have to pinch yourself to make sure it’s real. And it is.
- Where you have clarity and grounding in the midst of chaos and confusion.
- Where you have heritage and history, but just as much hope and hankering.
- Where truth is honored, and the way, though difficult, is clear.
A couple of closing caveats. No, I do not think the church, from the human side, is perfect. We have our foibles, fragility, and faults, but our foundation is flawless. No, the church is not a place, it is a people. “Where” indicates that the church, as a body, is a place where I can fit, belong, and function. No, this is not a Pollyanna-like, rose-colored glasses view of the church that glosses over or is ignorant of times when God’s people do not behave like they ought. But, when too often the diatribe is “what’s wrong with the church” and the mantra is, with negative and sarcastic spin, “that’s the church for you,” maybe it’s time we take a moment to count some of the blessings and perks of membership in the institution bought with the life and blood of Jesus (Acts 20:28). Obviously, there are other items to be added to the list. Feel free to do so! Generously.